Monday, August 23, 2010

August 23, 2010

Dear Mom,

Thanks for your letter. I'm sure it was a super great opportunity to go to education week. I always loved going to class because I was always able to learn so much from those that had more experience than me. That's how I also kind of feel on the mission. We received a call last night from President and he asked Elder Gardner to train. He asked me to go and serve in Dortmund as well as to be Zone Leader. I'm super nervous. My new companion is Elder Breckheisen. He is going home next transfer so my guess is we'll stay together for two and then I'll get another companion for two. I am nervous but also excited. Elder Breckheisen is a super good missionary and I know that I can learn so much from him. I would ask you all to please keep me in your prayers that I may fulfill this assignment to my best ability. I know that the Lord can work miracles.

This week was a pretty good week. We were able to teach more lessons and to also find more new investigators. It's great to keep the finding going and making sure that they progress. On Saturday we had a lesson with Ben and Felista, they're from Africa. We have had several lessons that have been super good and that we've really felt that they've been progressing and accepting the message. We invited them to come to church and they said no. I asked them if it was a bad time or if they weren't comfortable, they said that we (missionaries all together) always invite people to come to our church but we never go to other church's. I asked them what time they had church. They said there was one service at 11 and one at 6. I told them that I would make them a deal. I said we'll go to church with them if they come to church with us. They agreed and so we were super excited. I was excited as well because I have never been to another church's service before but now with me getting transferred, I won't be able to do it.

The Branch is going to be sad that I'm leaving, especially the Branch President. The branch hasn't had motivated missionaries in years and so they loved me and Elder Gardner. I haven't told him yet but he is coming with us tomorrow to teach an inactive. I'll miss this branch as well. Yesterday we had an appointment and it was pouring rain like crazy. Our only way of transportation is with bikes so I was riding one handed holding an umbrella like a shield in front of me. We got super wet but it was a good appointment. The Lord blessed us with having an inactive member there and so we were able to get his phone number and also set up an appointment to help him move. I've come to find out that there are really no such things as coincidences on a mission. Everything happens for a reason.

I hope the farm is doing well and that you are able to get fourth cutting up. I am praying for you all and I love you so much. There are so many blessings that I have seen in my life and I hope that you are also able to see the blessings take place in yours. I love this work so much and I know that the Lord loves us, each individually. Tell everyone I say hi and tell Kiersten that she'll be getting a letter soon at BYU. Love you all. "No Regrets"

Love Elder Merrill