Wednesday, October 6, 2010

October 4, 2010

Dear Mom, Dad, and Family,

First of all thanks for the updates. It sounds like things are really changing alot. It is kind of disappointing that Kortneigh is getting married before I get home but it's ok because it's a good decision. I'm excited for her and Shayne. Tell her that I would like to hear from her at least one last time before she gets married and that she better have some good explanations to what's happened in the last 10 months. Tell Kaitlan that I want to hear from her as well.

I got your letter this past week. Thanks for the printed off receipt, I hope it will work. I have thought a little bit about your question of working or going to school. I can't really tell you at the moment but next week I hope to be able to tell you. I'm going to ask Jake whether or not he's serious about going to school. If he goes I will most likely go. I would also like to know about how much money they would pay and for how long the work would last for. That's everything about that subject. Don't worry it didn't really distract me at all because I still feel like I have a year to serve.

This last week was pretty interesting. We didn't have to go on any splits which was kind of nice but at the same time it's good to be able to work with the other missionaries from the zone. I found it also quite interesting that you asked about my new companion. Elder Brecheisen still has one more transfer so it could have been possible that we stay together. He is getting transferred though. I am getting Elder Gunnell as a new Zone leader companion and then to throw a twist in the whole thing we are both getting Goldens. That means that we are both training as well as being Zone Leaders! We will all be living in the same apartment which ought to be fun. I've never had a four man apartment so it will be interesting. I am going down to Frankfurt tomorrow and will come back on Wednesday. Before the end of the year we will be getting 60 new missionaries. By the time I'm in my last transfer half of our mission will be super old and the other half will be super young. I'm super excited about it all though. I will be interested to see how it all works out this next transfer. I have a lot to learn still and the conference talks helped me to know what I need to work on and how I can better improve myself.

There are many things that I enjoyed in conference but the best talk was from President Uchtdorf about Pride. Elder Gardner and his Golden, Elder Rampton, stayed the night at our place on Saturday because of conference and I was talking to Elder Gardner about how all sin is because of selfishness and selfishness is a form of Pride. Many times we don't need to even sin to be guilty of pride but pride is sin. Elder Uchtdorf is a wonderful teacher and has a great testimony. There was a baptism here in the ward in August that was kind of referred from President Uchtdorf. It was an exchange student that was in Utah and he was able to have a connection to President Uchtdorf and he had lunch with him. President Uchtdorf taught about the Restoration and gave testimony. Pretty cool experience this boy had.

This last week we were given a referral by an inactive sister. She said that she would set up an appointment Saturday for us. We went to the appointment not knowing what to expect. The man was home and let us in. His house was a disaster. He said that he has lost all hope and that he wants to change his life around. We sat down with him and taught the Restoration. He was moved by the spirit. He said that he could feel that we were sent from God. It was a great feeling. We offered to help him change his life around and he agreed to do what it takes in order to come closer to the Savior Jesus Christ. We have an appointment set up for Tuesday morning and will be helping clean up his life. It's a great feeling to help others feel the love that God has for them.

"No Regrets"

Love you,
Elder Merrill