Tuesday, November 2, 2010

October 18, 2010

Dear Mom and Dad,

First off, Happy Birthday Katie and Kory. Alrighty--I know that it is bad but Kory is 11 and Katie is 13, right? That's terrible I know but I haven't thought about it since probably I was at home. I was just thinking yesterday about Andrew and whether or not he was home yet. That's great that he looks good. I would like to see a picture of him. Dad has written me 4 weeks in a row now. That's a record for my mission I think. It's great to hear from him and to hear about the farm.

I'll let you in on a little hint that will make sure that nobody goes inactive. You have to keep it a secret because none of the Germans know about it. It's called Home Teaching. It's pretty sad how they don't take it seriously but now I understand and realize how important it really is. We are trying to meet with the inactives but some of them haven't had any contact with the church for years and so it's really easy for them to say NO and then slam the door.

Armstrong's baptism went great. There was a lot of people that showed up and a bunch of YSA's. There was a YSA meeting just before and so they all stayed for the baptism but Armstrong thought they all came because of that. He really enjoyed it. I had to play the piano for the baptism because Alberto (a member that was supposed to play) got sick and couldn't come. I enjoy playing a lot but I wish that sometimes I would at least have time to know before hand so I could practice. I had to play in church yesterday as well and they just asked me the hour before hand. I was able to give Armstrong the Holy Ghost and confirm him which was a good experience.

All is well and things are pretty busy but could always be busier. I've been super tired lately and haven't been sleeping well but it's ok. It doesn't affect me too much just ready to lay down for the night. Tell all the kids that I'm waiting for an email or letter from them.

Elder Gunnell served in Düsseldorf which was in my district when I was in Solingen. I was his District Leader for a transfer. The Goldens are doing well but still don't trust themselves very much when they speak. The other day we were doing doors and it was Elder Wilde's turn to start off. He started off and asked a question. The man answered but he didn't understand and he looked at me. Instead of saving him I just looked at him and said in English, "Sorry I don't speak German". Elder Wilde turned back to the man and tried to talk with him for a little longer. It was good for him to jump into the deep end by himself and swim to the side. I don't want him to always turn to me when he doesn't understand something so I try to make him work it out. We get some good laughs out of it as well.

This week we will be doing quite a bit of finding time trying to find new investigators so keep us in your prayers and pray that the people we talk with will be open to the message of the Restoration. There is some sweet miracles happening and I love this work so much. I know that there is so much that I've learned so far and it's through the love that we help others have happiness in there lives. Thanks for doing everything that you do and for teaching correct principles as a child so that I can help these people here in Germany. I love you all very much and love hearing from you all every week.

"No Regrets"

Love
Elder Merrill