Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Ich gehe nach Leverkussen morgen

That's right! Time to pack the bags. I'm going to Leverkussen. It's right up next to a city called Köln (Cologne). Köln is the Gay capital of Europe so it will be very interesting. I'm really excited. My new Companion will be Elder Moffat. I don't know anything about him other than he's been out for about 9 months. More info on him next week.

So yesterday made the week! We spent the day doing doors and then we went to a different little city and did some more doors. We talked to this man about the plan of happiness. He didn't believe in something after this life but as we testified of it the Spirit came into his life and he began to change. He didn't totally accept it but I know that it touched him. He said "maybe I'll be ready to hear it in 10 years". Hopefully it's shorter than that. It was a way sweet opportunity for us both. We both switched off testifying left and right. It was awesome. In my mission it has been little lessons like that where we teach people at the door or on the street that I have come to appreciate and strengthen my testimony.

After we finished finding time there it was time to call it a day and head back to the apartment. We were on the bikes. We were on our way through the forest going down a fairly good sloped hill. I was cruising going about 20 mph or so. Since being in this area we have ridden bikes a lot so I don't ride with hands unless I need to. Well ya, so I wasn't riding with hands at this moment in time and then... well something happened where I lost control. I quickly grabbed the handle bars and was able to get back into control quite quickly but... at this point in time I was off the trail and riding through some 3 foot brush. Well right as I got control I saw a Log about 10 ft in front of me and I was going way too fast to stop or miss it (by the way I only had front brakes because the bike isn't exactly in tip top shape). Well needless to say, I hit this log and I went flying over the handle bars in the air about 7 ft above the ground (says Elder Brown, who was behind me and observed the Talent Show). Well, I thought I would do a little showing off for Elder Brown so I decided to do a front flip. Unfortunately, it didn't work out as I had planned and I landed on my back. So this 3 foot brush wasn't just regular brush, it was all stinging nettle. Fun stuff. I was itching pretty bad for a couple hours. It was way sweet. Don't worry I didn't break anything or have to get stitches, I was just a little bit dirty. Not a single scratch on me in fact. Well I had to ride home on a somewhat broken bike but it was all worth it. I bent the Front forks just a bit but I was able to bend them back straight. I think that the bike is in better condition now than what it was before I wrecked it thanks to the Farming fixing skills Dad taught me. Mensch, I love the farm.

Sounds like a way crazy week for the Merrill family. I had no idea that Brittney was getting Married. Pretty crazy. That's so sweet about Jace. Tell him I give the best of luck to him and tear it up. I know he will. He's always been a good kid and tried to be a good member. I'm Way excited for him. Wow, so ya I am really happy for Kohl St. Peter. I think that is so awesome but I'm sad that I wasn't a better missionary in high school to help teach him as well as other kids my age. He'll be a good member as long as he prays everyday and studies the scriptures.

That's so sweet that the kids are excited for school. Let them know that I say to study hard. I will always write them back if they write me. I haven't written Katie or Kory back yet from last time but I will make sure I do that next week. Next week because all my stuff is packed up. Sorry kids. Thankyou for writing me though and drawing me those pictures. I appreciate it a lot. I wrote the Terry Merrill family last week. I will make sure to write the kids though. I'm really sorry though that I didn't do that yet.

I got a letter from Andrew this week and he asked me some questions about what it's like over here. Hopefully, it will answer your questions too. So we get invited to eat with the members about twice a month or so. In this area we do about 6-8 hours of doors a day . Every area is different but finding time is a lot. We hardly get any referalls from members. Maybe like 1 solid referall in 6 weeks. It's way different from the missions in the states but I love it. We work hard everyday though. We see miracles everyday as well. I could go back through my journal everyday and tell you when, where, and how we felt the spirit. I am so grateful for the chance I have to serve a mission. It's tough at times but I am learning more than ever before. I love it all.

We are given 180 euro a month. It's enough to do what is needed. I took about 150 euro out from my personal account and bought some new ties. I haven't spent it at all really. I am pretty conservative with my money but I am doing fine. President Ninow is 44 and his wife is about the same age. She waited for him on his mission. They have 4 boys. One just got home from his mission in Taiwan. Their other son just left on his mission to Columbus, Ohio I believe. Then the other two are still in school. They are a way sweet family. Unfortunately, I only get to see president twice a cycle. Once for interviews and then once for Zone Conference. Thanks for the questions and all the information. I love you all so very much. That is one thing that I have grown more appreciative for, my family.

Love you all. I'm working hard and giving it my best.

"No Regrets"

Elder Merrill