Tuesday, October 6, 2009

October 6, 2009

Dear Mom and family,

I'm glad that things are doing well for you with your neck. I was really shocked about it just because I thought it was going to be down the road. I'm glad that all is OK with it. I said a prayer to myself asking for your safety and to help the doctors perform it well.

Wow, that's crazy that Candace had a baby. Good for them. I've almost been out the time of a whole pregnancy :) Today I have been in Germany for six months. Because there is no Thanksgiving or Halloween, there is already Christmas candy being sold in stores. Are there any more kids my age getting married or married yet? When I read that Daniel Cuello got his mission call, that made me feel so good and I was way excited for him. It's really weird to think that kids younger than me are going to college and going on missions. I can't wait for those elders that come in and say that they graduated in 09. That will be weird. Man time flies.

This past week has been a really boosting week as we have worked our hardest. On Thursday, Elder Gruber had District Leader Council so I was able to go on a mini-split with Elder Castillo and Elder Beyrich. We were assigned to do doors right next to the church. We got on our way and we talked with everyone. In an hour and a half we were able to get 3 solid contacts as we used Teach To Find. Even though I was the one longest out on the mission I felt like the youngster out of the drit because of my German but I was grateful for the opportunity to work with them both. I have started to see the blessings of my last cycle. My German has become much more fluent and it is so much easier to understand.

Also this past week, we went through the area book and made calls to Former Investigators. I was able to get a hold of an older lady and when she finally figured out that we were the "Mormon Missionaries" she was so excited. She wanted to meet that week but because of her work we weren't able to set up an appointment. She went on to tell me that her Uncle is a member in the states and that she loved meeting with the missionaries 2 years ago. I'm so excited that we are having appointments and being able to teach.

Another story that just came to my mind was we set up an appointment with an inactive member and we were able to go teach him. We had planned out to teach the first lesson. We showed up to the appointment and he had his two children, the daughter Katarina 11 and the son Fabian 10, and there with their Book of Mormon's on the table as well as a first lesson pamphlet. We taught the three of them and then committed them to come to church. The two kids were very excited to have us there and when I invited them to come back to church Katarina had the biggest smile on her face and was so happy. Neither of the children are baptized but want so bad to come to church. I know that inactive work will bring blessings into other people's lives. When we left that night I felt the best I have ever felt on the mission so far. The little girls smile and excitement made me melt inside. I know that someday she will be able to enter into a covenant with Heavenly Father.

So far I've really enjoyed my time here in Solingen. The transfer is almost half way over. I can't believe how fast time flies. I'm really blessed to be able to serve a mission.

OK so with conference, My favorite Talk was from President Monson in the Priesthood session about anger. During that talk I felt something different and I know that it was the Spirit whispering to me that there are certain things I need to do to change my life. I don't have any problems with getting angry or anything but I was able to look back at the past and realize the things that I did poorly. I think we both know most of them but I just want to apologize for the false choices I made in treating my parents, siblings, and as well as some others. I am asking for your forgiveness because I handled many situations poorly and I realize now that I should have made the better choice.

Thank you for all of you love and support. I love you all and I wish you the best this week. Please continue to pray for me as I will continue to do the same for you. Love you all.

"No Regrets"

Love
Elder Merrill