Thursday, June 17, 2010

June 14, 2010

Hey Mom,

I'm glad that you had a fun time in Utah. Crazy how things are changing so fast. I didn't know that Jessica is getting married. Crazy! I didn't even know that Meg was getting married. Sweet stuff.

So guess what, Sister Pickelein is getting baptized! Pretty awesome blessing. She is 90 years old and still wants to do it. I love her! She'll be getting baptized on the 10th of July. That will be a sweet experience. I'm way pumped. I told her also that you and Dad want to meet her someday. She was super happy to hear that and she hopes that she can meet you both. She sends her love.

We are working hard here in Solingen trying to save more souls but it's pretty hard with the World Cup going on. Last night Germany played at 8:30 and I could tell you the score without even watching the game. 4-0 they won. People were driving through the town honking their car horns, air horns, as well as blow horns until about 11:45. I couldn't fall asleep until then so I'm assuming that it all calmed down about that time. It's crazy how much people love soccer.

Oh ya, I think I forgot to tell you. A couple weeks ago I played a musical number in sacrament meeting. I thought I was going to do it the next week but then the Bishop told me that I was doing it that day. Luckily I had practiced up a bit the week before. I played "I Need Thee Every Hour". It was a simple arrangement but really cool too. I did pretty good for not being able to practice before hand. I was supposed to play again for Zone Conference again this week but President wants me to give a talk instead. I'm kind of nervous but I'm sure it will all turn out alright. I'm doing sweet. I Love serving here. It's just great. We get some pretty good laughs at how some people react to us even if they do reject us. Crazy responses. I'm doing well training so far. I got a email from Landon and he gave me a bit of advice which I'm very thankful for. If there is anyone else that can give me some advice I'm all ears.

Elder Schuetz is from Irvine California. He's a good kid. His Dad is a convert to the church and he was 22 when he joined the church and then married his mom a couple years later. He is the first one to serve a mission. He turns 20 in October but graduated in 2008. He is great! We are different characters but nobody is the same. I love it all. I'm learning a ton and sometimes I feel like a mom just trying to teach him everything from buying train tickets to chewing with his mouth closed. It's good for me though. I think that I will probably get more out of all of this then he will.

Well I don't have too much more to say. If you ever get the chance to talk to little Grandma tell her that I love her and that I'm praying for her that she will be happy and free from pain. I love my family a ton. It's crazy how much being away from home makes you love your family more. It's like Dad said, "Separation makes the heart grow fonder". Love you all and wish you all an awesome week.

"No Regrets"
Elder Merrill