Thursday, February 19, 2009

February 19, 2009

Hello Everyone,

This week has been really a trying as well as a rewarding week. We had a day where our zone did an activity where you talk in German and get to know someone pretending they are investigators. It was way hard. I really got down on myself hard because I wasn't able to speak or comprehend hardly anything. After the activity we went to the classroom and after the sisters left I had tears running down my face because I was so disappointed in myself. That whole day I was just down in the dumps. I prayed so much that day and really couldn't focus on hardly anything but the activity. The very next day we did a very similar activity where we knocked on a door and simulated a door approach. We had to speak in German and I did very well. I knew that the Spirit was with me that day. I was able to remember a lot of things that I learned and I knew that the Lord had blessed me. I am already so blessed here in the MTC and I know that the hand of the Lord is in everything.

I had another great experience yesterday. We went to the Referral Center and I received a call from a lady in Arizona. This lady had seen a commercial put out by the church and she was calling to request a free Bible. I was excited for her to want to know more. I shared my testimony with her and she went on to tell me that she was looking to start going to church again and that she needed a church to go to. I was way excited. I shared a scripture with her and bore my testimony again to her. She asked me if she could tell me a story. I, of course, said yes and this is what she told me: "A couple of years ago I was carrying my baby son and I went to cross a street. I looked both ways and nothing was coming. I started walking across the street and all of a sudden a truck swerved out of the way and barely missed us by inches. At that exact instant I saw this bright light. It reminded me of Jesus Christ and I knew that it was an angel protecting me and my son." By this time the Merrill genes had kicked in and I was having trouble talking. I told her that that was a special experience and that she had been blessed. I shared another scripture with her and shared again my testimony of the gospel. She allowed me to send the missionaries and she really was very interesting. I was super excited. I really think that she will be baptized soon. She wanted me to call her back again and talk more with her. I am super excited. If the missionaries haven't taught her the first lesson I am going to do it over the phone. It was an absolute awesome experience.

I saw Elder Middleton today and he looks great. It's awesome to see him out here on a mission. On Tuesdays we have devotionals and this week Elder Ballard came and spoke to us. He gave a great talk. He talked about how this generation of missionaries will be the best generation ever. He talked about how we need to work quickly and the whole time it sounded like the second coming was tomorrow. I am so excited that I am part of this generation and look forward to getting out in the field. Keep the letters coming and I wish you all the best.

"No Regrets"

Love Elder Merrill