Dear Mom, Dad, and Family,
Thank you for the two emails. It really makes me happy to get mail/emails. I got your package yesterday. Thank you so much. It was pretty darn expensive to ship. You treat me too good. I hope that you get my package this week. OK, so with transfers. Elder Gruber is leaving and I'm getting an Elder named Elder McGowin. I know that he is 6 weeks older (mission wise) than me. I'll fill you in more next week. Oh and next week we are having zone conference and I think we might have it on Tuesday. That means that we will have p-day either on Monday or Wednesday. Don't know right now but I think we'll have it on Monday.
So for this week's success. We had a ward Christmas Party and there were several non-members there. It was pretty cool. No referral's from it or anything but the members brought some people which is a huge step, especially in Germany. We also had the opportunity to go by on a man that I had given a Book of Mormon to several weeks ago when I was on a split with our zone leader. He had a big smile when he saw me. It was way cool. So as we first talked to him he didn't want anything to do with us. We bore testimony to him and the Spirit worked on him a little bit. He loosened up a bit and took the Book of Mormon. We couldn't set up a return appointment but he said that we could come by again. We have been trying for 2 weeks to get in contact with him but he has never been home. We set up an appointment for Wednesday night with him and I'm super excited for it.
The bad news for the week is that Daniel has fallen back into the habit of smoking. He didn't come to church and he won't answer his phone. He just sends us text messages. I hate it. I'm afraid that we are going to have to move or even cancel his date. It's really tough for me because I have worked my tail end off trying to help him come closer to Heavenly Father but I don't think he understands or even wants it. I have tried to have daily contact with him but it hasn't been working. We will be going over there to figure it all out this week.
I have been really trying to develop my prayers and exercise my faith but it's hard to stay focused when stuff like this happens. I'm loving being a missionary though. I haven't been homesick at all lately which is a blessing. This could be a huge difficulty but luckily it hasn't been tough for me. I've been speaking only German for 3 weeks straight now. It's pretty fun. It helps me to learn more new words and to really get the grammar down. The grammar is probably the toughest part for missionaries but I've been complimented several times on how well I speak. Tender mercies of the Lord. I Can't believe how fast time flies when I stay focused and obedient.
It just got cold this week. It's finally down to freezing temperatures all the time now. Last week it was raining and in the high 40's so it's a bit of a change. The cold weather makes us really want to focus on perfecting our door contacting so that we can get in rather than stay outside.
Well that's sweet that the Steele girl is going on a mission. How are all the kids doing? School probably gets out this week. I bet they're way excited. I can't believe how fast things change. Is Kory in 3rd or 4th grade? Hope I can get some letters for Christmas from the kids.
I sent out some Christmas postcard things to some family and friends. You should probably get yours today or tomorrow if you haven't gotten it already.
Love you all so much. Celebrate this sweet time of year together and make memories.
"No Regrets"
Love
Elder Merrill


