Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Your German Elder

Dear Family,

Mom first of all I have to tell you thank you so much for writing me every week. Really it's quite tough out here. The mission is character building. We had zone conference yesterday and it was way awesome. I learned some way good stuff. I believe President Ninow said that the rest of your life will show how you worked as a missionary. That is true. I can look at people in the ward, family and friends and I can tell that they were good missionaries because of how they live their life now. That's how I know that Dad was a good missionary.

Things are going way good with Elder Sessions and me. He has been out 1 year. We have fun together everyday. There are things everyday that I learn that I could do better. I really am trying my hardest and striving to have a love for everyone I talk to. Would you this week pray for me that I will be able to have a brotherly love for everyone I talk to whether it be on the street, baun, or in a lesson. This is something that I really think that makes or breaks the investigators progress. I want to be working as hard as I can and to share this loving message with everyone.

Things are going well for Elder Sessions and I here in Langen. We are both happy and working hard together. We have a couple of real solid investigators. The other day Elder Sessions felt impressed to go by on an old investigator. He wasnt home so we decided to klingel the building. We were let in by an old man and he seemed interested. We weren't able to get a return appointment but he said to call him whenever we wanted. Tonight we will do just that and get another appointment. I really always find it amazing how the Lord works. He will impress us to do something that will lead to others who are ready for the message of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.

This last week I was on a split with Elder Künzli and we were contacting on the street but first I took my belongings to the apartment. Upon reaching the apartment we saw a younger man who was sitting on a rock waiting for someone. Well I felt like I should talk with him but my fears got to me and I passed up the oppurtunity. Later that same day we were contacting and a younger man was walking somewhat close to us and I had the same feeling to talk to him. I did this time. I didn't remember the face but he remembered us. It was really quite awesome. We taught him the whole first lesson there on the street and the Spirit was there. He said that he really believed that this could be true. I found it awesome. I said a prayer that night to ask for forgiveness for not acting on the promptings of the Holy Ghost but I also thanked him for giving me another chance and that Elder künzli and I were able to teach with the Holy Ghost.

This week we hope to meet with an investigator and talk to him about prayer and commit him to pray to God and not Jesus Christ. We would also really like to extend a baptismal commitment and set a date. He really is progressing well and I believe he is one of the elect that are ready.

Yesterday we were coming home from zone conference and there were probably 15 missionaries on a crowded baun. They were all mingling amongst themselves and so I decided that somebody needed to set an example so I sat next to this black guy and started to talk with him. We aren't allowed to prosylite on public transportation but once they ask the question "what are you doing in Germany" it's free game baby. That's what happened. I talked to him for an hour and taught him the 1st lesson and invited him to visit our church and meet with the elders. He was sceptical but I was able to get his number and hopefully he will meet with the missionaries in his area. Right after I started to talk to him, other missionaries saw it and began to do the same. The moral of the story is not to boast of myself but to not be afraid to be different. We are different, us members of the church.

"No Regrets"
Love,
Elder Merrill

p.s. I knew Andrew was going to be a Zone Leader soon. Before you know it he will be an Assistant. I only pray that I can be like him as a missionary. He is a great example for me and I know that he is living and being an awesome missionary. There are still so many things I have to change to be like him.